KILSHINE, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Navan, on the road from Dublin to Kingscourt; containing 654 inhabitants. This parish was the scene of a skirmish during the disturbances of 1798. It comprises 1369 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, three-fourths of which are under a good system of tillage; there is some bog. Petty sessions are held at George's Cross every Monday. Mountainstown House, the handsome residence of A. H. C. Pollock, Esq., is situated in a fine demesne of 300 plantation acres. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council in 1809 to the rectory of Clongill, and in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop, the former having one turn and the latter two. Although the rectories are thus nominally united, they are held by two incumbents. The tithes amount to £92. 6. 2., and the value of the benefice is £284 per annum. The church, which is a very neat structure with a spire, was rebuilt by a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815. The glebe-house is in Clongill, where there is a glebe of 21 acres, valued at £63 per annum, besides a glebe in this parish of 7 acres, valued at £21. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Castletown-Kilpatrick. There is a national school, in which about 90 children are educated, and to which Sir W. Plunket de Bathe, Bart., subscribes £15 per annum, besides allowing a house and ground.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilshine from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.