KILSCORAN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (N.) from Broadway; containing 626 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of Greenore bay on the eastern coast, comprises 2103 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is principally under a gradually improving system of tillage; sea-weed, which is found in abundance on the shore, is the principal manure. Building-stone of tolerable quality is found at Kishough Cross. In the bay, during moderate weather, or with westerly winds, a vessel may ride in safety on the south side in two or three fathoms of water. Hill Castle, the seat of G. M. Dance, Esq., occupies a commanding situation and forms a conspicuous and interesting feature in the surrounding landscape. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, united from time immemorial to the rectories of Tacumshane, Ballymore, Killilane, and Rosslare, the vicarage of Kilrane, and the impropriate curacy of St. Margaret's, together forming the union of Kilscoran, also called Tacumshane, and the corps of the chancellorship of Ferns, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £226. 17. 10½., and of the entire benefice, to £987. 10. 5¾. The glebe-house is a handsome and spacious residence; the glebe comprises 15¾ acres exclusively of about 9 acres in the other parishes of the union. The church, a neat structure, was built by a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818, and was recently repaired by a grant of £157 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tagoat. About 60 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by the rector, Dr. Elrington, who allows the master £20 per annum, and at whose expense the schoolhouse, a neat rustic building, was erected.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilscoran from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.