UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kilrush, Wexford

Historical Description

KILRUSH, a parish, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, adjoining the post-town of Newtownbarry, and containing 2731 inhabitants. This parish comprises 11,036 statute acres of land generally fertile; but with the exception of some pebble limestone, manure is scarce, and limestone is brought from the county of Carlow. It is watered by the river Slaney, over which are two stone bridges, one connecting it with Newtownbarry, and the other crossing the river at Clohamon. The principal seats are Ballynapark, that of G. Browne, Esq.; Clohamon Lodge, of N. Browne, Esq.; Ballyrankin, of Major Devereux; and Newlands, of the Rev. W. Hore, all pleasantly situated on the banks of the Slaney. Part of the demesne of Woodfield, the beautiful seat of Lord Farnham, is also in this parish. Clohamon is a neat and thriving village of recent origin, and the population is chiefly employed in the large flour and cotton-mills of Mr. William Lewis, from the latter of which are produced on an average about 200 pieces weekly. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming the corps of the prebend of Kilrush in Ferns cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £694. 3. 1. The church is a small plain edifice, and has recently been repaired by a grant of £262 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including this parish and that part of Carnew which is in the county of Wexford, and containing chapels at Kilrush and Askamore; the former is a neat modern building, attached to which are a residence for the priest and a school. About 150 children are educated in two public schools, to one of which the rector contributes £10, and to the other Grogan Morgan, Esq., £2, annually.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kilrush from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.