Kilrea or Kilree, Kilkenny
KILREA, or KILREE, a parish, in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Knoektopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 611 inhabitants. It comprises 1895 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Kilree is the residence of T. Shaw, Esq.; and Chapel Izod, of W. Izod, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to £130. 5. 6½. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Donemagan. Among the ruins of the church is a very handsome and perfect cross, formed of a single block of freestone, about eight feet high, ornamented with interlaced rings. Tradition states it to have been erected to commemorate the death of Neill Callan, King of Ireland, who it is stated was drowned while endeavouring to save the life of a nobleman who had fallen into a river. Here is also the tomb of Richard Comerford and his wife, dated 1622, and ornamented with hieroglyphics of the crucifixion, &c. About 10 feet from the north-western angle of the church, is an ancient round tower, which at four feet above the ground is 50½ feet in circumference: it is about 93 feet high, and the door is five feet from the ground.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilrea or Kilree from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Kilrea or Kilree)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.