KILPOOLE, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the greater portion of the town of Wicklow, 2269 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the eastern coast, was anciently the extremity of the English pale, and formed part of the possessions of the priory of Kilmainham: it comprises 2695 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Off the coast is the sand bank called the Horse Shoe, which extends southwest for about a mile, with about 5 feet of water on it at the north end, which is the shallowest part. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Wicklow; the rectory is impropriate in Earl Fitzwilliam. The tithes amount to £120, of which half is payable to the impropriator and half to the vicar. There are four private schools, in which are about 120 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilpoole from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.