Kilpatrick or Dorsakile, Westmeath
KILPATRICK, or DORSAKILE, a parish, in the barony of Demifore, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Castle-Pollard, on the road to Killucan; containing 416 inhabitants. It comprises 1388 statute acres; the soil is fertile and principally under tillage, and there is abundance of limestone. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Rathgraff; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christ-Church cathedral, Dublin, to whom the tithes, amounting to £110, are payable. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of St. Mary's. There is a private school, in which about 65 children are educated. Here are the ruins of an old church, with the vestiges of a fortified building nearly adjacent, and part of another fort is on the lands of Tuitestown. There are also five large raths.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilpatrick or Dorsakile from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Kilpatrick or Dorsakile)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.