Haydon, a parish in Dorsetshire, adjacent to Somerset, 2 miles ESE of Sherborne station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 468; population of the civil parish, 71; of the ecclesiastical, 80. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £130 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1883 on a new site. It is a small stone building in the Early English style, and contains a Saxon window, which is considered to be 900 years old.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haydon St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1711. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Catherine (parish church)
The parish church of St. Catherine, entirely rebuilt on a new site in 1883, at the expense of the late G. D. Wingfield Digby esq. is a building of stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a small western turret containing one bell: the church is seated for 100 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Haydon was in Sherborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Sturminster Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haydon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haydon (St. Catherine))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.