KILMORE, a parish, in the barony and county of MONAGHAN, province of ULSTER, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Monaghan, on the road to Clones; containing 5095 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 8689½ statute acres, including a detached portion of 334¼ acres, several small lakes, and some bog. The principal seats are Ballyleck, the residence of the Hon. R. Westenra; Brandrim, of Owen Blayney Cole, Esq.; and Rosefield, of Ralph Dudgeon, Esq. The Ulster Canal will pass through the northern part of the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £286. 3. There is a glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100 in 1792; the glebe comprises 43 acres. The church is a plain edifice with an elegant tower, erected in 1788, and for the repair of which £109 was lately granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Drumsnat, and has a chapel at Corcahan. There are eight public schools, in which about 520 children are educated; and two private schools, in which are 60 children; also a Sunday school supported by the curate.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilmore from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Monaghan is available to browse.