KILMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, but chiefly in that of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Armagh to Belfast; containing, with the post-town of Richhill (which is described under its own head), 14,037 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Kilmore-Aedhain, derived that name from the foundation of a church in the territory of Huadneth, by St. Mochtee, the founder of Louth, by whom it was dedicated to St. Aedan. The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 17,274½ statute acres, of which 4799¾ are in the barony of Lower Orior, and 12,474¾ in that of O'Neilland West. The soil is fertile; the system of agriculture is highly improving; there is no waste land and only a small quantity of bog. There are several quarries of whinstone, which is raised for building; and limestone is found in great abundance, and quarried both for building and for manure. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and towards the south and east are some beautiful views extending to the sea, and comprehending the mountains of Mourne. The principal seats are Richhill Castle, the property and residence of Miss Richardson, situated in an extensive and embellished demesne; Wheatfield, of H. Clendining, Esq.; Bellview, of G. Langtrey, Esq.; Killynhanvagh, of Major T. Atkins; Anna Hill, of H. Walker, Esq.; and Course Lodge, of J. Orr, Esq. The linen manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent, employing a great number of persons; and a court is held at Richhill on the first Friday in every month for the manor of MulKIL lalelish and Legacony, in which debts under 40s. are recoverable. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting the corps of the chancellorship of the cathedral of Armagh, in the patronage, of the Lord-Primate; the tithes amount to £1213. 4. 4. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100, was erected in 1793; it is a spacious and handsome residence, situated in grounds tastefully disposed; the glebe comprises 679 acres of profitable land. The church, with the exception of the ancient tower, was rebuilt in 1814, at an expense of £2800, of which £2000 was a loan from the same Board; and in 1825 the massive square tower was surmounted by a lofty octagonal spire covered with copper, at an expense of £300, of which half was defrayed by the rector and the remainder by subscription; it occupies a commanding eminence, and is seen to great advantage at a distance. A church was built in 1775 at Mullyvilly, for the accommodation of the parishioners in that part of the parish: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are two chapels, both small buildings, situated respectively at Richhill and Mullavilly. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and for the Society of Friends and Independents. About 550 children are taught in eight public schools, of which two are supported by the rector, two by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund, one by Miss Richardson, of Richhill Castle, and two are endowed with an acre of land each by the rector, who also built the school-houses. There are also two private schools, in which are about 70 children, and six Sunday schools in connection with the Established Church and the several dissenting congregations, two of which are aided by annual donations from the rector and Mr. Caulfield. A payment of £3. 1. 6. is annually made to the poor, arising from land near the village, called the Honey Pot field; and Mr. Atkinson, of Greenhall, in 1827, bequeathed £50, of which the interest is annually divided by the rector among the Protestant poor. There are a mendicity association and a voluntary poor fund. In the townland of Castle Roe are extensive ruins of the castle which gave name to the district, and which is said to have been founded by Rory O'Nial in the reign of Elizabeth; it occupied a lofty eminence, commanding the entire country. The former glebe-house was part of the ancient abbey, and contained several dormitories and cells with narrow lights and very massive walls; but the only vestige of the abbey is the holy well, enclosed in the rector's garden. On a high hill in the parish, Cromwell is said to have had an encampment.
Findmypast, in association with the National Library of Ireland, have the following Catholic parish records online for Kilmore:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilmore from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Armagh is available to browse.