UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kilmoon, Meath

Historical Description

KILMOON, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4¾ miles (N. E.) from Dunshaughlin, on the road from Dublin to Belfast, by way of Ashbourne; containing 825 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 1823 statute acres. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by episcopal authority, in 1826, to the rectory and vicarage of Piercetownlandy, which is in the gift of the Crown, but Kilmoon is in the patronage of the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £146, and of the entire benefice to £315. 8. 0. There is a glebe-house near the church, on a glebe of 30 acres, valued at £45 per ann.; and a glebe at Piercetownlandy, let for £16 per annum. The church, which is at the north-western extremity of the parish, is a plain building; it was erected in 1816 by a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £106 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Curragha or Creekstown. There is a private school of about 20 children.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.