Hampreston or Ham Chamberlayne, a parish in Dorsetshire and Hants, on the river Stour, 3 miles from Wimborne station on the L. & S.W.R. It includes the-hamlet of Longham, which has a post and money order office under Wimborne; telegraph office, Wimborne. Acreage,. 5351; population of the civil parish, 1608; of the ecclesiastical, 1625. The manor belonged to Aiulfus, the Conqueror's chamberlain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £300 with residence. Patron, Lord Wimborne. The church is Decorated, with traces of earlier work, and a gallery was added in the early part of the 19th century. There are four dissenting chapels and a Roman Catholic convent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hampreston All Saints|
|Hundred||Wimbore St Giles|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne||1835 - 1836|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1617. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower, containing 5 bells: in 1897 the church was reseated in oak, the organ restored, the bells recast, and an aisle built at a cost of £2,500: there are 300 sittings.
Hampreston was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hampreston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hampreston (All Saints))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Hampreston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cLongham
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.