UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Kilmoily or Kilmayly, Kerry

Historical Description

KILMOILY, or KILMAYLY, a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Tralee, on the western coast; containing 3525 inhabitants. It comprises 12,219 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, chiefly in tillage. Several families of the settlers called "Palatines" reside at Toherbanne, in this parish, where a colony was established more than a century since by an ancestor of the present proprietor, Silver Oliver, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, appropriate to the see; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to £450, of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the bishop, who allows £5 per annum for discharging the clerical duties. There is no church, glebe-house, or glebe; but divine service is regularly performed in the school-house at Toherbanne, and it is in contemplation by the bishop to procure the erection of a church. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ardfert; there is a chapel at Lerrigs. The school-house at Toherbanne, with apartments for the master, was erected by subscription in 1835: in this and in two private schools, about 150 children are educated. Near the churchyard are the ruins of Ballykealy castle, an ancient residence of the Fitzmaurices.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kilmoily or Kilmayly from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kerry is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement