KILMOCAHILL, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.) from Gowran, on the road from Dublin to Waterford; containing 1391 inhabitants. It comprises 4396 statute acres, mostly good arable land, with the exception of 100 acres of mountain land at Knockadeen. Limestone and flag-stone abound, and there is a marble quarry at Butler's Grove. Here is a cornmill, worked by a small stream, which falls into the Barrow. Indications of coal exist on the edge of the parish, adjoining Shankill. The principal seats are Mount Rothe, the property of Sir T. McKenny, Bart.; Viewmount, the residence of J. Flood, Esq.; and Paulstown Castle, of H. Flood, Esq. The last is an ancient square pile of building, said to have formerly been the residence of Sir Pearse Butler. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Master and Brethren of the Hospital of the Holy Ghost, Waterford, and Henry Flood, Esq. The tithes amount to £370, of which £200 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with five acres of glebe. The church is a neat structure, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1806, gave £500. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Grange-Silvae. The parochial school, in which about 20 children are educated, is partly supported by the vicar. The school-house was built at an expense of £150, of which £60 was contributed from the Lord-Lieutenant's school fund, £30 by the vicar, and £60 by other individuals. There are also two private schools, in which about 130 children are taught.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilmocahill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.