UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Kilmeedy, Limerick

Historical Description

KILMEEDY, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E.) from Newcastle, on the road to Castletown: the population is returned with that of the union of Corcomohide. It comprises 5232½ acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about one-eighth of which is under tillage, and the remainder is principally meadow and pasture, including some large dairy farms. Here is some profitable bog, and about 1000 acres of mountain land, consisting chiefly of silicious grit, of which there are some good quarries. The low lands are based on limestone. The principal seats are Heathfield, the residence of E. Lloyd, Esq.; High Mount, of J. Furlong, Esq.; and Feenah Cottage, of the Rev. M. Keily, P.P. The village is small; it has a cattle fair on Nov. 7th. At the village of Feenah there are a dispensary and a constabulary police station; it is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part of the union of Corcomohide; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Limerick cathedral. The tithes are included in the amount for the union of Corcomohide. The church, which is near the village, was erected in 1665, when the vicarage was created; it is in bad condition, and will be rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballyegran, and has a chapel. There is a school built and supported by J. Warren, Esq., on his estate at Heathfield.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kilmeedy from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.