KILMAINHAM-WOOD, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Nobber, on the road from Kells to Kingscourt; containing 1454 inhabitants, of which number, 147 are in the village, in which are 25 houses. This parish is the property of Anthony Strong Hussey, Esq.: after the suppression of the order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, it was granted by the Crown to the Barnwalls, from whom it was purchased, about a century since, by the Hon. Col. Hussey, of Westown. There are some quarries of stone procured for building, a tuck and a corn-mill, and a few looms employed by the inhabitants for their own use. The village contains a constabulary police station and a dispensary; a good fair for store cattle is held in it on May 5th. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of the Bishop: the parish, is tithe free, and the income of the vicar consists of a money payment of £50 per ann. from Mr. Hussey, with an augmentation from Primate Boulter's fund. The church is a plain building, erected in 1803, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £135. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with part of Bailieborough, or Moybologue, in the diocese of Kilmore, called the union or district of Moybologue or Tivorcher, in each of which is a chapel. There is a National school for about 100 children: it was enlarged in 1835, by aid of a grant of £53 from the Board of Education.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilmainham-Wood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.