UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Kilmacnevin, Westmeath

Historical Description

KILMACNEVIN, a parish, in the barony of MOYGOISH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Mullingar, on the road from that place to Colehill; containing 2604 inhabitants. It comprises 2406 statute acres, and is almost entirely under tillage, excepting a large quantity of bog. Limestone abounds, but of an inferior kind. Here is Conlanstown, the seat of C. C. Isdell, Esq. The Royal Canal runs through the parish, and a large cattle fair is held at Empor on the last day of May. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Leney; the rectory is impropriate in Sir J. B. Piers, Bart. The tithes amount to £130, which is payable to the irnpropriator. There is a glebe of eight acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Miltown, and has a chapel at Empor. About 120 children are educated in a public school, to which Mr. Tuite allows £10 per annum, besides the school-house and half an acre of land; and 45 in a private school. There are remains of the castle of Empor and of an old fort, also of the church of Kilmacnevin, and of one at Churchtown, which is the burial-place of the Tuite family.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kilmacnevin from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement