East Hanney, Berkshire
Hanney, East, a village and a township in West Hanney parish, Berks. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ock, near the Berks and Wilts Canal, 1 mile NNE from Wantage Road station on the G.W.R., and 3 miles NNE from Wantage, and has a post office under Wantage; money order and telegraph office, Wantage. The township comprises 2200 acres; population, 549. It forms a chapelry to West Hanney.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||West Hanney|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
The chapel of ease of St. James-the-Less is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, erected by subscription, from designs by the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western gable bell-cot with one bell: there is a stained glass window, erected by Mrs. G. B. Anderson to the memory of her husband: there are sittings for upwards of 160 persons.
East Hanney was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Hanney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hanney, East)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Hanney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.