KILLYON, a parish, in the barony of UPPER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Clonard, on the road from Trim to Kinnegad and on the river Boyne; containing 818 inhabitants. It comprises 2534 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is generally fertile, and there is some meadow and pasture land of superior quality on the banks of the Boyne; there are several patches of bog. The Royal Canal passes through the southern part of the parish. Killyon House is the property of the representatives of the late Lady Loftus, but is at present unoccupied. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in Lady Loftus' representatives, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Clonard. The tithes amount to £138. 9. 2½., of which £92. 6. 1¾. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Longwood, and has a chapel. About 40 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of the old church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killyon from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.