UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Killyleagh, Armagh

Historical Description

KILLYLEAGH, a district parish, partly in the barony of TURANEY, and partly in that of ARMAGH, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Armagh, on the road from that place to Caledon; containing 3452 inhabitants. It was formed out of the parishes of Armagh, Tynan, and Derrynoose, under the provisions of the act of the 8th of Geo. IV., cap. 43; and comprises 5635 statute acres of very fertile arable and pasture land, which is under an excellent system of cultivation. A great part of the parish and the whole of the village belong to Trinity College, Dublin. Here are some excellent quarries of freestone, clay-slate, and limestone, of which the last is extensively worked: coal also exists on the College estate, but is not much used. Linen-weaving is carried on to a considerable extent. The village, which is on the side of a hill near the Ulster Canal, consists of one long street of stone houses: it has a penny post to Armagh and Tynan, and a cattle fair on the last Friday in every month, A court for the manor of Toaghey and Balteagh is held monthly, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The principal seats in the parish are Elm Park, the residence of the Earl of Charlemont, which is in a beautifully planted demesne; Knappagh, of J. Johnston, Esq.; Woodpark, of A. St. George, Esq.; Fellows-hall, of T. K. Armstrong, Esq.; and Dartan, of Maxwell Cross, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the alternate patronage of the rectors of Armagh, Derrynoose, and Tynan, each of whom contributes to the perpetual curate's stipend. The church, which was erected by subscription in 1832, is a handsome building, with a lofty square tower, on an eminence. About 210 children are educated in the parochial and another public school, the latter of which is aided by an annual donation from - Close, Esq.; and about 140 in two private schools.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Killyleagh from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Armagh is available to browse.