Froome St Quintin, Dorset
Froome St Quintin, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the river Frome, adjacent to the Roman road from Dorchester, near Evershot station on the G.W.R., and 5, miles WNW of Cerne Abbas. Post town, Dorchester. Acreage, 1032; population of the civil parish, 133; of the ecclesiastical, 624. The manor belonged once to the St Quintins. Caldwell here, now a farm, was formerly a chapelry. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Evershot, in the diocese of Salisbury. In 1885 the rectory of Melbury Bubb was annexed to this living; total joint value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Diocese||Bristol||1542 - 1836|
|Poor Law union||Cerne||1835 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1653. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, restored in 1881, is a small Gothic structure of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch, with an embattled north-western tower containing 2 bells, the church was completely restored in 1889 at a cost of about £500, by the rector and parishioners. Here is a handsome stone altar, part of which was found embedded in the floor of the chancel. A new pulpit, lectern, and reredos of alabaster and Caen stone have been added: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Frome St. Quintin was in Cerne Registration District from 1837 to 1838, Dorchester Registration District from 1838 to 1937, and Weymouth Registration District from 1949 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Froome St Quintin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Froome St. Quintin (St. Mary))
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Froome St Quintin are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.