Killoghconnoghan or Kilaconnigan, Meath
KILLOGHCONNOGHAN, or KILACONNIGAN, a parish, in the barony of LUNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6¾ miles (W.) from Trim, on the road from Dublin to Mullingar; containing 2329 inhabitants. It comprises about 4000 acres, of which about one-fourth is bog, much of which was planted by the late Earl of Darnley; the remainder is principally under tillage. There is a good quarry of limestone, and at Inchmore is a corn-mill. Fairs are held on March 25th, May 12th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st. The principal seats are Elm Grove, the residence of J. Browne, Esq.; Parkstown, of J. Campbell, Esq.; and Kilmur, the property of A. Montgomery, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of the Earl of Darnley, who is impropriator of the rectory: the tithes amount to £300, payable to the impropriator, who allows the perpetual curate £69. 4. 7½. per annum.. The church is a neat structure, with a spire and steeple, and was erected in 1820, by aid of a gift of £200 from the late Earl of Darnley, and a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1822: the glebe comprises 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kildalkey, and has a handsome chapel, towards the erection of which the late Earl of Darnley gave £100, and half an acre of land on which it is built. About 150 children are educated in a school supported by the Earl of Darnley, and the same number in three private schools. There are some remains of a Franciscan friary and a castle at Donore, and of a castle at Carranstown.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.