KILLIANE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Wexford, on the road from that place to Rosslare; containing 260 inhabitants. It comprises 1064 statute acres, which are partly under tillage, but chiefly in pasture: the soil is good, and well cultivated, and there is abundance of limestone and marl. Killiane Castle, the property of Vigors Harvey, Esq., is on the shore of Wexford haven, of which it commands a pleasing view. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of Killinick; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £68. 11. 5., of which £17. 10. 4. is payable to the impropriator, and £51. 1. 1. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Piercestown. About 40 children are educated in a private school. The church is in ruins, and there are also the remains of a chapel, with a small burial-ground attached, near Killiane Castle, supposed to have been the cemetery of its ancient proprietors.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killiane from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.