KILLESHER, a parish, in the barony of GLENAWLEY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Florence-Court, 5114 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises, with certain islands in Lower Lough McNean, 24,936¼ statute acres, of which 24½ are in the river Erne and small loughs, and 642½ are in Lower Lough McNean: there is a considerable quantity of bog and mountain land. Fairs are held at Whitehill on May 13th, July 13th, Sept. 11th, and Nov. 11th. Florence Court, the beautiful mansion of the Earl of Enniskillen, stands in a large and finely planted demesne. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £200. The church is a small building, and was repaired in 1819, by aid of a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is no glebe-house: the glebe comprises 1300 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Whitehill, and one at Crossroads: there are also two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 460 children are educated in six public schools, to two of which the Earl of Enniskillen subscribes, and about 100 in two private schools; there are also five Sunday schools. Here are some mineral springs and remarkable caves, also the ruins of the old church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killesher from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.