KILLENUMERY, a parish, in the barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Dromahaire, on the road from that place to Sligo; containing 4115 inhabitants. It comprises 12,602 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and principally under tillage, besides a considerable quantity of mountain land and bog. Coal and iron ore exist here, but have not been worked, and limestone is plentiful; crystal spar, or Irish diamond, is found at Cashel. Friarstown is the residence of Mrs. Johnston. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, episcopally united to the vicarage of Killery, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in R. Baker, Esq.: the tithes amount to £220, of which £70 is payable to the impropriator, and £150 to the vicar; and the gross value of the union, including tithe and glebe, is £578. 9. 2. The church is a neat building, erected in 1820 by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits; there is also a chapel of ease at Killery. The same Board, in 1812, gave £350 and lent £450 for the erection of the glebe-house: the glebe comprises 847 acres, a considerable part of which is mountain land and bog. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Killery, and has a chapel at Ballinagar. About 100 children are educated in a public, and about 370 in six private, schools. The abbey of Creevlea, which is described in the article on Dromohaire, is in this parish.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killenumery from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.