Killely or Killila, Wexford
KILLELY, or KILLILA, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Oulart, on the coastroad from Wexford to Dublin; containing 677 inhabitants. It comprises 1594 statute acres, and contains two quarries of good building stone of a slaty kind, also limestone, gravel, and marl. A fair is held at Croshu, in this parish, on Jan. 1st. Castle Talbot, the seat of the ancient family of Talbot, is now the residence of M. Talbot, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of Castle-Ellis: the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth: the tithes amount to £85. 4. 9., of which £45. 11. 3. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the perpetual curate. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Blackwater, which includes this parish and Ballyvalloo, and has a chapel there. About 70 children are educated in two private schools. There are some remains of the church, and of a Danish rath. - See BLACKWATER.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killely or Killila from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killely or Killila)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.