East Hagbourne, Berkshire
Hagbourne, East and West, two villages and two parishes in Berks. The villages stand 1½ mile SSE from Didcot station on the G.W.R. main line, and near Upton station on the branch line to Newbury. There is an ancient cross surmounting lofty steps, and a post office of the name of East Hagbourne, under Didcot; telegraph office, Didcot. West Hagbourne is a distinct parish, but is joined ecclesiastically with East Hagbourne. Area of East Hagbourne, 1758 acres; West Hagbourne, 1057 acres; population of the joint parish, 1454. North Hagbourne is a hamlet on the northern border of the parish; also known as Didcot New Town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value,, £152 with residence. The church is one of the best in Berkshire, the peal of eight bells being considered remarkably good, has a square tower, and contains a monument to John Philips, Esq. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel, and there are a church erected in 1890, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at North Hagbourne. The parish is celebrated for its cherry orchards, and large quantities of watercress are grown.
A burial ground, comprising one acre, was opened July 3rd, 1896, some distance west of the church and below the railway embankment.
The parish register of St. Andrew's dates from the year 1662.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, in East Hagbourne, is a building of stone and rubble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel and nave of six bays, both clerestoried, aisles, north and south porches, an embattled western Perpendicular tower, with a stair turret and on the roof a unique bell-cot, with canopy and pinnacles, in which hangs one small bell, the belfry containing a fine peal of 8 bells: the chancel is in part Transitional, and has a good open timbered roof with carvings of interesting character, a locker, trefoiled piscina and a large Perpendicular east window: the north aisle or chapel was built by John York, as appears from inscribed brasses still remaining in it; the earliest is that of "Claricia Wyndsore, formerly lady of Westhakborn, and wife of John York, who caused this chapel to be made;" she died March, 1403; the second commemorates John York himself, "founder of this aisle," who died 15th July, 1413: there is a third inscription to John York (probably a son of the foregoing) and Johanna his wife, both of whom died 5th of September, 1445: in this aisle is also a handsome marble monument to John Phillips esq. carpenter at Windsor Castle to George I. and II.; he accumulated considerable property in the neighbourhood, most of which, by purchase from his representatives, is now the property of Lady Wantage, and there is some stained glass and a Decorated piscina: the south aisle is Perpendicular, and retains a piscina and a hagioscope: the chancel arch and the arcades on the south side are Transition Norman; the north arcade of the nave has three Early English arches, but the aisle itself is Decorated, and has a door of the same date; the nave has a flat open timbered roof, which with the clerestory, is Late Perpendicular: the lower part of the rood screen remains, with the staircase and the original door: the pulpit and octagonal font are both Perpendicular: in the chancel there is a fine Jacobean brass to "Christian Keate, wife and widow of Hugh Keate, of Hodcott, in the county of Barkes, gent.;" it has kneeling figures of both, with four sons and four daughters; he died 23rd March, 1613, "and was buried in the parish chancel of Westildsley: she died 14th August, 1627;" "William Keate, their youngest sone erected this memoriall." The church was substantially repaired and well restored in 1859-60, under the superintendence of W. J. Hopkins esq. architect, at a cost of £1,500, including £210 laid out by the Earl of Craven (formerly lord of the manor) in the repairs and restoration of the chancel: there are 474 sittings.
The church of St. Peter, in North Hagbourne, is a building in a plain Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the church was dedicated 29th June, 1890, and completed, and the bell dedicated October 18th, 1898: there are 220 sittings.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at East Hagbourne.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at North Hagbourne
There is a Wesleyan chapel at North Hagbourne
East Hagbourne was in Wallingford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Hagbourne from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Hagbourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.