Killeban or Killabin, Queens County
KILLEBAN, or KILLABIN, a parish, partly in the barony of BALLYADAMS, but chiefly in that of SLIEVEMARGUE, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Athy, on the road from that place to Kilkenny; containing 9776 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Aries, Ballylinan, and Ballickmoyler, which are separately described, and comprises 24,749 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally fertile, and chiefly in pasture, with some bog and mountain; the system of agriculture is improving. Limestone, flag-stone, and sandstone are quarried, and at Newtown are extensive collieries: there are also collieries at Moudebeg, Towlerton, Cogeo, Hunt's Park, and other places. At Clonbrook is a large grist-mill, belonging to Mr. Edge. Fairs are held at Mayo on June 29th and Oct. 18th; also at Ballickmoyler and Ballylinan. A manorial court is held at Newtown, once in two months, and petty sessions at Ballickmoyler every Wednesday and at Ballylinan on alternate Thursdays. There are police stations at Ballickmoyler, Ballylinan, Newtown, and Maidenhead; and dispensaries at Ballickmoyler and Newtown. The principal seats are Cooper Hill, the residence of W. Cope Cooper, Esq.; Ashfield Hall, of P. Gale, Esq.; Rahin, of Lieut.-Col. Weldon; Towlerton, of Hovendon Stapleton, Esq.; Garrendenny, of Viscount Galmoy; Hollymount, of W. Fishbourne, Esq.; Moorefield, of J. Fishbourne, Esq.; Herrondale, of J. Jackson Marshall, Esq.; Providence, of Capt. Wright; Killeen, of M. D. Thomas, Esq.; Gurteen, of T. Hovendon, Esq.; Castletown, of D. Kelly, Esq.; Maidenhead, of W. Kidd, Esq.; Clona Cottage, of Lieut. Nixon; Rossina, of W. Cooke, Esq.; and Ardeateagle, of W. Fitzmaurice, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of the Crown. The tithes amount to £1292. 6. 1½. Here are two churches, one at Castletown and the other at Mayo, for the erection of one of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813, gave £800; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £108 for the repairs of that at Castletown, and £172 for that at Mayo. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the unions or districts of Killeban, Doonane, and Ballyadams; there are chapels at Ballylinan, Arles, Killeen, Mayo, and Doonane. The distrist of Killeban comprises a great part of the parishes of Killeban, Shruel, and Grange; a new chapel is in progress are Killeen, for which A. F. St. George, Esq., gave an acre of ground. About 400 children are educated in four public schools, to three of which the rector subscribes; there are also six Sunday schools. St. Abban founded a monastery here in 650, in which he is said to have been interred; there are some remains of its church. There are also remains of the monastery of Clona, and of Kilgory and Ballylinan churches.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killeban or Killabin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killeban or Killabin)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.