UK Genealogy Archives logo

Killea, Donegal

Historical Description

KILLEA, a parish, in the barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Londonderry, on the road from that place to Letterkenny; containing 930 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 1869 statute acres, of which 1792 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £1285 per ann., and 80 acres are bog. At Carrigans are some large corn-mills: it is a constabulary police station, and has a penny post to Londonderry. Dunmore House is the seat of R. McClintock, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £170. The church is a small plain building, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £273. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 40 acres In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Lagan. About 120 children are educated in two public schools, of which the parochial school is supported from Col. Robertson's fund, and there is a Sunday school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Killea from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.