KILLANCOOLY, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 10½ miles (S. by E.) from Gorey, on the old road through Oulart to Wexford; containing 1204 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the south-eastern coast, comprises about 3000 statute acres, of which by far the greater part is under tillage, and the remainder consists of fine grazing tracts: the soil is in general loamy, the system of agriculture is improved; and butter and cheese are made in large quantities. A herring fishery is carried on at Tinabearny, in which about seven boats and 50 men from this and the adjoining parish of Kilmuckridge are engaged. Wells House, the property of R. Doyne, Esq., was, for nearly three years after the disturbances of 1798, occupied as a barrack by the king's troops; it is now about to be rebuilt in the Elizabethan style by the proprietor, as a residence, and will in future be called Wells Abbey. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns: it is an impropriate curacy, partly forming a portion of the union of Donaghmore, and partly annexed to the rectory of Kimemanagh, by the act of the 4th of Geo. IV.; the rectory is impropriate in H. K. G. Morgan, Esq. It is intersected by the parish of Kilmuckridge; the portion adjoining Kilnemanagh is annexed to that parish for the performance of the clerical duties, and the remainder to Donaghmore. The tithes amount to £190, payable to the impropriator. There are some remains of the old church. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Litter.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killancooly from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.