Killan or Killanne, Wexford
KILLAN, or KILLANNE, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Enniscorthy, on the high road from New Ross to Newtownbarry; containing 2837 inhabitants. This parish comprises 9835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the lands are principally under tillage, the soil is light, and the system of agriculture improving. There is no waste land, except on the higher part of the mountain of Blackstairs, which bounds the parish on the west, separating the counties of Wexford and Carlow, and is cultivated to a considerable height from its base. At Woodbrook is a slate quarry, which has been worked occasionally for private purposes. Lime for manure is drawn from kilns at Gore's-bridge, in the county of Kilkenny, a distance of 13 Irish miles. The principal seats are the Grange, the residence of Mrs. Richards, and Woodbrook, of Mrs. Blacker. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £477. 3. 7. The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, with some later details, was erected in 1832, at an expense of £1270, of which a loan of £1200 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £116 for its repair. The late Board also gave £100 towards the erection of the glebe-house, an elegant modern villa, pleasantly situated in a plantation of beech and fir, and commanding a fine view of the White and Blackstairs mountains: the glebe comprises 33 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Templeudigan, or Killegney; the chapel at Grange is a plain edifice. About 100 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by subscription; the school-house and an acre of land were given by the late Mr. Blacker: there is another public school of about 50 children, which has a house and two acres of land, rent free, from Mr. Colles; and about 200 children are taught in four private schools. A spinning association for the employment of the female poor is managed by a committee of ladies. Near the village of Killan is a holy well, dedicated to St. Anne, from whom the parish takes its name. There are several Danish raths.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killan or Killanne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killan or Killanne)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.