KILLAMERY, a parish, in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Callan, on the road from that place to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1837 inhabitants. It comprises 6451 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3640 per annum. At Garryricken, which is the property and was the residence of the Marquess of Ormonde, are some very fine plantations. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming the corps of the prebend of Kilamery, in the gift of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £280. The church is a plain structure, erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815, and recently repaired by a grant of £125 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £300, and a loan of £900, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818; the glebe comprises five acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Tullohaught, and containing a chapel at Windgap. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and at Garryricken is a public school, the house for which was built by the late Marquess of Ormonde. In these schools are about 70 children, and about 100 children are taught in a private school. A monastery of 1000 monks is said to have anciently existed here. At Rossamery are the ruins of a small church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killamery from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.