Killaloe or Grangooly, Kilkenny
KILLALOE, or GRANGOOLY, a parish in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N.) from Callan, on the road from Kilkenny to Ballingarry; containing 1274 inhabitants This parish comprises 5142 statute acres, and contains Rossmore, the seat of Purefoy Poe, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Callan: the tithes amount to £374. 9. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballycallan. About 160 children are educated in a public school, to which the Countess of Desart and the Rev. Mr. Morris contribute £15 annually; and about 140 in a private school; there is also a Sunday school. Here is a constabulary police station; and a fever hospital is supported by the Earl of Desart, for the benefit of his tenants.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killaloe or Grangooly from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killaloe or Grangooly)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.