Killahurler or Kilmain, Wicklow
KILLAHURLER, or KILMAIN, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4¼ miles (W.) from Arklow; containing 493 inhabitants. It comprises 3859 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; and within its limits is the greater part of the district from which gold was obtained at the end of the last century, and which is described in the article on Arklow. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Arklow; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £83. 1. 6½., of which £55. 7. 8¼. is payable to the dean, and £27. 13. 10¼. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Arklow. Here is an old burial-ground.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killahurler or Kilmain from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killahurler or Kilmain)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.