Killagh or Killaugh, Meath
KILLAGH, or KILLAUGH, also called MOYMENE, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (W.) from Oldcastle; containing 2221 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Shillin, and comprises 6283 statute acres, including about 160 of bog, and 50 of plantations. Crossdrum is the residence of E. Rotherham, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £203. 1. 6¼. The church is a neat edifice, built by aid of a gift of £500, in 1800, from the late Board of First Fruits, which in 1814 gave £450, and lent £50 for the erection of the glebe-house; the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Kilbride, and containing a chapel at Moat, in this parish, and one at Dalysbridge in Kilbride. About 150 children are educated in two private schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Killagh or Killaugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Killagh or Killaugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.