East Chelborough, Dorset
Chelborough, East, or Lewcombe, a parish in Dorsetshire, on the Roman road from Dorchester, at the verge of the county, 3 miles from Sutton-Bingham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6¼ NE of Beaminster. Post town, Ever-shot. Acreage, 967; population, 76. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, amalgamated with West Chelborough; net value, £155 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Beaminster||1836 -|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1682. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
not dedicated (parish church)
The church (not dedicated) is a small but ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a small western turret containing one bell: there are 50 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
East Chelborough was in Beaminster Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Bridport Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Chelborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chelborough, East, or Luccombe)
- Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of East Chelborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.