KILFANE, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Thomastown, on the road from Dublin to Waterford; containing 898 inhabitants. This parish is supposed to have derived its name from the foundation of a church here at a very early period by St. Phian: it comprises 3830 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2815 per annum, and is principally under tillage; the agriculture is moderately good, and there is plenty of limestone, which is used for manure. The principal seats are Kilfane House, the handsome residence and demesne of John Power Jun., Esq.; Summer Hill, of J. Snow Davis, Esq.; Castlefield, of - Willett, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. Archdeacon Irwin. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1676, to the vicarages of Tullowherin and Blanchevillestown, together forming the union of Kilfane and the corps of the archdeaconry of Ossory, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £274, and of the whole benefice to £547. 3. 7. The church is a neat modern edifice with a spire, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £114. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £550, in 1807, from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 46a. 3r. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Thomastown. The parochial school, in which are about 90 children, is aided by subscriptions, of which the archdeacon contributes £10 annually. Here are some remains of the ancient church, and of Kilbline and Ballynaboola castles.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilfane from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.