UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kilcowanmore, Wexford

Historical Description

KILCOWANMORE, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to Ballyhack; containing 630 inhabitants, and comprising 4270 statute acres. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, held with that of Clongeen, and in the patronage of F. Leigh, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate, and both parishes are annexed to the union of Tintern for the performance of clerical duties: the tithes, amounting to £70, are entirely payable to Mr. Leigh, who allows a stipend to the curate of Tintern for discharging the duties of the two parishes, between which several others intervene. About 40 children are educated in a private school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kilcowanmore from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.