Kilcowan or Kilcoan, Wexford
KILCOWAN, or KILCOAN, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 10 miles (S. W. by S.) from Wexford, on the lough formed by the burrow of Ballyteigue; containing 557 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1959 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land, which is chiefly in tillage, is partly manured with sea-weed, procured from the lough, and partly with lime, quarries of good limestone being worked on the townland of Baldwinstown. It is in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of W. Bell, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Mulrankin. The tithes amount to £162. 11. 6., of which £111. 18. 3. is payable to the impropriators, and £50. 13. 3. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathangan. A school-house has been lately erected at the village of Baldwinstown, in which about 40 children are educated, under the superintendence of the parish priest. Near the village is the castle of Baldwinstown, consisting of a lofty tower, about 30 feet square, the walls of which at the base measure nearly 13 feet in thickness.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilcowan or Kilcoan from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Kilcowan or Kilcoan)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.