Kilcommon or Kilcolman, Wicklow
KILCOMMON, or KILCOLMAN, a parish, in the barony of NEWCASTLE, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Rathdrum, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Wexford; containing 858 inhabitants. This parish, in the civil divisions, is regarded as one of the four constablewicks constituting the parish of Wicklow; it comprises 2861 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is of good quality, and the system of agriculture improving; there are some tracts of waste land and bog in the mountainous parts. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Wicklow: the tithes amount to £111. 1. 9½. In the R. C. divisions, also, it forms part of the union or district of Wicklow. About 20 children are taught in the parochial school, which is aided by Archdeacon Magee, and has a house and an acre of land given by Mr. Bailey, of Ballyarthur; and there are two private schools, in which are about 60 children. Within a mile of Rathdrum are the ruins of the old church, and at Ballynakill are the remains of an old castle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilcommon or Kilcolman from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Kilcommon or Kilcolman)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.