UK Genealogy Archives logo

East Challow, Berkshire

Historical Description

Challow, East, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Letcombe-Regis, Berks, on the Berks and Wilts Canal, 1 mile WNW of Wantage, with a station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wantage; money order and telegraph office, Wantage. Acreage, 1657; population of the township, 496; of the ecclesiastical parish, including West Challow, 599. There are extensive agricultural implement works. The living is a vicarage, united with that of West Challow, in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £255 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford. The church, a small building of stone in mixed styles, was restored in 1858.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Civil parishLetcomb Regis 
HundredKintbury-Eagle 
Poor Law unionWantage 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1712.


Churches

Church of England

St Nicolas (parish church)

The church of St. Nicolas is a small edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, and a small tower (built in 1884) and containing 2 bells and a clock added in 1911, in commemoration of the coronation of His Majesty King George V.; the Decorated east window, of three lights, has flowing tracery; the chancel arch is Early English, and the nave is separated from the aisle by an arcade of three good arches of the same period; the aisle is modern; the west doorway is modern, but has an Early English stoup on the south side; the font is plain and cylindrical; the church was enlarged and restored in 1858, when many details of the old building were destroyed, and much of its beauty marred: there are 165 sittings.


Civil Registration

East Challow was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Challow from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Challow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

DistrictVale of White Horse
CountyOxfordshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtOX12
Post TownWantage