Kilcoleman, Kings County
KILCOLEMAN, a parish, partly in the barony of BALLYBRIT, but chiefly in that of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Parsonstown, on the road to Roscrea; containing 2199 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from a religious house founded here in the 6th century, by St. Colman, son of Ãngus, King of Munster, which subsequently became the parish church, but of which there are now no remains. It comprises 6628 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3713 per annum. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, the former constituting part of the union of Parsonstown, and the latter of that of Ettagh; the tithes amount to £198. 9. 2¾. Divine service is performed every Sunday in a private house licensed for that purpose. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to that of Ettagh, in each of which is a chapel. About 25 children are taught in a school at Mountmask, supported by Mr. Synge; and there are five private schools, in which are about 160 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilcoleman from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.