KILCLIEF, a parish, in the barony of LECALE, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Strangford; containing 841 inhabitants, of which number, 351 are in the village. Here was formerly an abbey under St. Eugene and St. Neill, disciples of St. Patrick; also an hospital for lepers, of which there are still some small remains. The castle of Kilclief, of which also part remains, was anciently the palace of the bishops of Down, to whom the manor belongs. According to the Ordnance survey, the parish contains 2424½ statute acres: there is no waste or bog, and the land is extremely well cultivated, furnishing much wheat, barley, oats, and potatoes for exportation. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Down, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £216. The church is a small plain building on an elevated spot near the sea-shore. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which £450 was given and £50 lent, in 1816, by the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 10 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, including also the townland of Ballyargan, and two others in Ballyculter, and containing a small chapel. About 90 children are educated in the parochial school, which was built in 1804.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilclief from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.