KILCARN, a parish, in the barony of SKREEN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Navan, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 546 inhabitants. About two-thirds of it are under tillage; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving. There are some considerable corn and flour-mills, the property of J. McCann, Esq., of Drogheda; and the river Boyne, upon which the parish is situated, affords facility of conveyance. The principal seats are Kilcarn House, the residence of F. Murphy, Esq.; Kilcarn Lodge, of W. Dillon, Esq.; and Upper Kilcarn, of Mrs. Barry. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, and forms part of the union of Skreen, or Skryne; the rectory is impropriate in C. Barry, Esq. The tithes amount to £127. 12. 2., the whole payable to the impropriator. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Athlumney: the chapel, an old building, is to be converted into a school; and a chapel is about to be built adjoining the residence of the parish priest.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilcarn from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.