JOHNSTOWN, a village, in that part of the parish of MOYACOMB, or CLONEGAL, which is in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, nearly adjoining the village and post-town of Clonegal, on the road from Ferns to Tullow; containing 45 houses and 235 inhabitants. Here was formerly an extensive distillery, which was discontinued about 20 years since: it has been lately taken down, and a large flour-mill erected on its site by Mr. Derinzy, of Clonegal. A slate quarry has been lately opened on the neighbouring eminence called Gibbit hill, and is intended to be worked to some extent. Among the seats in the vicinity are Prospect, the residence of Geo. Braddell, Esq.; Beaufield, of Thos. Braddell, Esq.; and the recently erected mansion of - Rainsford, Esq. On the estate of H. Braddell, Esq., at Abbey Down, are the remains of an ancient religious house, of which no account is extant. This estate has been tithe-free from time immemorial, and has always been considered extraparochial. The R. C. chapel at Ballyfad, near the village, is a neat edifice: it was formerly the parochial chapel of the district, but is now considered a chapel of ease to that of Arklow.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Johnstown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.