Iverus of Iverossa, Limerick
IVERUS, or IVEROSSA, a parish, in the barony of KENRY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Askeaton, on the lower road to Limerick, and on the rivers Shannon and Deel; containing 1884 inhabitants. Its name is derived from Iverus, a Danish commander who sailed up the Shannon, in 824, with a powerful fleet, and after obtaining possession of Limerick founded a church here, on the spot where he had encamped at his debarkation. The parish comprises 2606 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is very fertile, and in some places under an excellent system of cultivation. It is embellished with many elegant houses, the chief of which are Ballysteen, the residence of E. Westropp, Esq.; Miltown, of the Rev. A. Champagne; Ballynacourty, of T. E. Davenport, Esq.; Castle View, of H. Ross, Esq.; and Beigh, of the Rev. G. Maxwell; besides many good farm-houses, around which are flourishing orchards. The country around Miltown is peculiarly beautiful, being highly cultivated, well fenced, and adorned with cottages and lodges. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part of the union of Askeaton; the rectory is impropriate in Sir M. Blackeston. The tithes amount to £240, of which £160 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. Divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school, which was erected in 1829, on an acre of land given by J. Waller, Esq., of Castletown, at the expense of the vicar, by whom it is chiefly supported. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Askeaton, and has a small chapel at Ballysteen. The ruins of the ancient church occupy an elevated site, and, with the exception of the roof, are nearly perfect. On the bank of the Shannon are the ruins of Beh or Beigh castle, and here are some Danish raths or forts in great perfection.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Iverus of Iverossa from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Iverus of Iverossa)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.