Innismagrath or Ennismagrath, Leitrim
INNISMAGRATH, or ENNISMAGRATH, a parish, in the barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5¼ miles (S. E.) from Dromahaire, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Manor-Hamilton; containing 7979 inhabitants. This parish comprises 23,013 statute acres, principally under tillage, and includes much mountain bog. Here are coal and iron mines, which are not worked, also limestone and freestone. It is situated on Lough Allen, and is almost surrounded by bleak mountains, but has some pleasing views, especially where the Shannon enters the lake at its north-western extremity. The principal seats are Strand Hill, the residence of J. Fawcet, Esq., and Corry Lodge, of F. N. Cullen, Esq., both on the shore of Lough Allen. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £248. 2. 10½, of which £20 is payable to the bishop, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £750 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815; the glebe comprises 541 acres of profitable land. The church is a neat building, erected by aid of a loan of £923 from the late Board, in 1830, and recently repaired by a grant of £127 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel near Drumkerrin and a newly erected one at Termon. The parochial school, in which are about 70 children, is aided by the incumbent; and there are 12 private schools, in which about 800 children are educated. On the small island of Inch are the ruins of a church, said to have been built by St. Beoy, to whom many springs in the neighbourhood are dedicated, at which his festival is celebrated on March 8th. This island has long been a favourite burial-place, and the parish was formerly called the "Parish of the Island." On the western border of Lough Allen stood the abbeys of Conagh and Tarmon, the latter of which was occupied by nuns until they were expelled by Cromwell's soldiers. Crystals and petrifactions abound in the mountains, in which there are extensive caverns, and among which are cataracts 200 feet high. Near Gubacowan is a strong chalybeate spring, called Cavan Spa.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Innismagrath or Ennismagrath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Innismagrath or Ennismagrath)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.