Inchiolaghan or Castleinch, Kilkenny
INCHIOLAGHAN, or CASTLEINCH, also called BROWNSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, aud province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Cork; containing 472 inhabitants. It comprises 3436 statute acres, and has petty sessions every fortnight. Here is Desart House, the residence of the Earl of Desart, and the place from which he takes his title. The mansion is a large and elegant building of hewn stone, in a demesne of more than 400 plantation acres, which contains some remarkably fine oak timber. The other principal seats are Castle Bamford, the residence of R. Sullivan, Esq.; Tinny Park, of Mrs. Keating; and Bamford glebe, of the Rev. J. Kearney. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, about 1676, to the vicarage of Tullohanbrogue and the prebend of Outrath, which together form the union of Inchiolaghan and the corps of the chancellorship of the diocese of Ossory, in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to £197. 8. 11½., and the entire value of the chancellorship is £455. 10. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 33 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £134. It is the burial-place of the Cuffe family. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of St. Patrick's, and has a chapel. Here is a public school of about 90 children, and a private school of about 70.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Inchiolaghan or Castleinch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Inchiolaghan or Castleinch)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.