UK Genealogy Archives logo

Grange or Manister Grange, Limerick

Historical Description

GRANGE, or MANISTER GRANGE, a parish, or district, in the barony of SMALL COUNTY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Bruff, on the road to Limerick: the population is included in the return for Manister. It comprises 1224 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and consists of very good land, which is generally based on limestone, and chiefly in large dairy farms. From an inquisition taken in the reign of Elizabeth, this district appears to have belonged to the parish of Manister, of which it still forms a part for civil purposes. The village of Six-mile-bridge is within its limits. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, entirely impropriate in Lord Southwell: the tithes amount to £83. 6. 2. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Bruff. Here are three druidical circles, the largest of which is 44½ yards in diameter, and consists of 65 upright stones; they are principally of limestone, sandstone, and clay-slate, but the largest, which is thirteen feet high, seven broad, and four thick, is formed of breccia. The second circle is 49 yards in diameter and consists of 72 smaller stones; and the third, which consists of 15 large shapeless blocks, is 17 yards in diameter. On the summit of Knockfinnell, which overhangs Lough Gur, are two extensive earthen forts.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Grange or Manister Grange from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.