Grange or Granshaw, Limerick
GRANGE, or GRANSHAW, a parish, in the Glenquin Division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. E.) from Newcastle, on the road to Ballingarry; containing 721 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2828 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is very good, and much of it is under an excellent system of tillage; the remainder is rich meadow and pasture, principally in large dairy farms. The river Deel, over which there is a curious old bridge, passes through the parish, the entire of which was formerly the property of the Courtenay family, but the greater part was sold during the life of the late Earl of Devon. The seats are Knockaderry, the residence of J. D. Evans, Esq.; Chesterfield, of Major Sullivan; and Dromin House, of Nicholas Meade, Esq. It is a rectory, in the gift of the Earl of Devon: the tithes amouut to £180, and there is a glebe of five acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Knockaderry, The ruins of the old church are beautifully situated on the river Deel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grange or Granshaw from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Grange or Granshaw)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.