Graigue, Queens County
GRAIGUE, a suburb of the town of CARLOW, in the parish of KILLESHIN, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER; containing 1976 inhabitants. It is situated on the right bank of the river Barrow, over which there is a bridge into the town of Carlow, but is entirely exempt from the jurisdiction of the sovereign of that borough, although included within its limits for electoral purposes. It comprises 114 acres, and includes 234 houses, a large flour-mill, two tanyards, and a distillery which manufactures more than 36,000 gallons of whiskey annually. It is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on Jan. 6th, Feb. 18th, April 1st, and Oct. 6th. A court-house is about to be erected, in which the general sessions for the district will be held. The parochial church, the R. C. chapel, and the parochial and national schools, are in the village; near which about 600 of the men who were killed in the attack upon Carlow, in 1798, were buried. -See KILLESHIN.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Graigue from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.